Inside Jewish Argentina 2017 - HUC-JIR
June 5, 2017 - June 12, 2017
Application deadline: March 20, 2017
This is a uniquely crafted global program created exclusively for HUC students. Participants of Inside Jewish Argentina will gain an in-depth understanding of Latin America’s largest Jewish community, one that is vibrant and diverse. The country features a rich Jewish history, strong institutions, innovative programming and inspiring Jewish leaders, young and old. The cohort of HUC students will meet with local leaders to discuss communal challenges and opportunities, while immersing in the culture and of this lively region. Participants will also have the opportunity to explore emerging progressive minyans and Jewish groups.
- Explore Latin America’s largest Jewish community and understand how, a decade after the devastating economic crisis, the community has rebuilt and is looking towards the future
- Engage in a cultural exchange with local young Jewish leaders from Moishe House, Hillel, JCC and Independent/Progressive Organizations
- Site visits to the Shantytowns, Jewish Day Schools, Elderly Resident Home, AMIA Memorial, and more
- Experience the historic squares, trendy neighborhoods and rich culture of Buenos Aires through Fuerza Brueta, tango dancing, Recoleta Cemetary, La Boca neighborhood and more
Trip Dates: June 5-12, 2017
Students accepted for this program will receive full subsidies for participation.
*The trip is generously supported by Jewish philanthropist Jane Weitzman as a part of a JDC and HUC-JIR partnership which provides the HUC-JIR student body with increased opportunities to engage in international Jewish issues. Learn more about the JDC and HUC-JIR partnership here.
The trip includes:
- Roundtrip International Airfare to Argentina
- Local transportation within Argentina
- Hotel Accommodations (note: the participation fee covers accommodations in double rooms; participants may elect to stay in a single room for an additional fee)
- Site visits, briefings, tours, etc.
- Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
Flight Details: The group flight will depart from a New York area airport late in the evening on Monday, June 5 and will return early morning on Monday, June 12. Participants are expected to meet at the airport at least 3 hours prior to departure. A detailed itinerary will be shared upon notification of acceptance.
Click here to view the full sample itinerary.
To learn more click here for a FAQ.
About JDC in Argentina: Argentina is home to Latin America’s largest Jewish population, the 7th largest in the world. A prosperous community for most of its history, which dates back to the Spanish and Portuguese inquisitions, Argentina’s Jews were devastated by the 2001 economic crisis that turned middle-class families into “the new poor” virtually overnight. JDC responded immediately and efficiently to the Jewish community’s sizeable needs, leveraging decades-long partnerships to expand existing relief services to aid those hardest-hit by the crisis. More than 10 years later, with the local Jewish institutions’ overall health largely restored, JDC has resumed its historic role in Argentina as a community-development expert.
Learn more about JDC’s work in Argentina here.