Inside Jewish Argentina & Uruguay 2017: LGBTQ Leadership
October 22, 2017 - October 29, 2017
Applications will be opening shortly. Email email@example.com for more information.
Participants of Inside Jewish Argentina & Uruguay will gain an in-depth understanding of two of Latin America’s Jewish communities while exploring the emerging and vibrant LGBTQ culture throughout the region.
Uruguay, host to the 2016 LGBTI Human Rights Conference, has long been a bastion of equal rights in Latin America. Shortly after Uruguay, in 2010, Argentina became the 2nd country in Latin America to legalize same sex marriage.
- Explore Buenos Aires, home the largest Jewish community of Latin America, and Montevideo, a smaller but equally vibrant community
- Experience Buenos Aires’ famous sites – Plaza de Mayo, Recoleta Cemetery – and trendy neighborhoods such as Palermo, La Boca, and San Telmo
- Learn about JDC’s critical interventions during the 2001 economic crisis in the areas of medical and welfare assistance, jobs training, elder care, and beyond, with JDC Director of Welfare Services, Vivana Bendersky
- Modern dance with elderly community members at AMIA, the main Jewish communal organization of Argentina
- Understand the impact of the 2001 crisis through a briefing with economics expert, Professor Andres Borenstein
- Engage with young Jewish adults through a visit to Moishe House Buenos Aires and an interactive program with BBYO teen participants
- Dance tango, drink Malbec, enjoy traditional asado (BBQ) and experience Fuerza Bruta!
Trip Dates: October 22-29, 2017
Participation fee: $2,400 USD, not inclusive of flights
*Do not let the price of the trip stop you from applying. JDC Entwine has subsidies available. Click here to learn more.
The trip cost includes:
- Local transportation within/between Argentina & Uruguay
- Hotel Accommodations (note: the participation fee covers accommodations in double rooms; participants may elect to stay in a single room for an additional fee)
- Site visits, briefings, tours, etc.
- Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
Participants will be expected to submit a non-refundable deposit of $1,000 upon notification of selection.
Final payments (which may vary based on individual subsidies) will be due two months before departure.
To learn more click here for a FAQ.
Flight details: Participants will be responsible for booking their own round-trip airfare to Montevideo and from Buenos Aires. Travel logistics details will be shared upon notification of acceptance.
Inside Jewish Argentina & Uruguay 2015 alumna Nicky Auster blogged about her experience here.
About JDC in Argentina & Uruguay: Argentina is home to Latin America’s largest Jewish population, the 7th largest Jewish population in the world. A prosperous community for most of its history, which dates back to the Spanish and Portuguese inquisitions, Argentina’s Jews were devastated by the 2001 economic crisis that turned middle-class families into “the new poor” virtually overnight.
JDC responded immediately and efficiently to the Jewish community’s sizeable needs, leveraging decades-long partnerships to expand existing relief services to aid those hardest-hit by the crisis. More than 10 years later, with the local Jewish institutions’ overall health largely restored, JDC has resumed its historic role in Argentina as a community-development expert.
More about JDC in Latin America here.