Inside Jewish India: National Leadership Trip for College Students
May 21, 2017 - May 29, 2017
Applications are now open. Click here to receive an application.
Application deadline: March 31, 2017
Open to Jewish undergrads from any campus, this trip will engage with India’s Jewish community and explore JDC’s programs in the region first-hand.
India has a rich history of religious tolerance, where Jews have been able to freely practice their faith here for over 2,000 years. Nonetheless, India’s huge population, significant poverty, and limited government-run social services have created significant social challenges, leading the Jewish community to create together with JDC a community-based social welfare system.
Over the course of the program we’ll travel throughout the Mumbai region together with local Indian Jewish peers to gain a first-hand understanding of the community's history and current challenges, and take an active role in the programs initiated by JDC with the community to address various community needs. With our peers, we’ll engage in cultural exchange, reflect on our experience and the Jewish values that inform our work, and learn first-hand about JDC’s rescue, relief and renewal work in India and worldwide.
Itinerary Highlights Include:
• Gain an inside perspective on the unique role that JDC, the world’s largest Jewish humanitarian aid organization, plays in India
• Travel throughout the Mumbai region to gain a first-hand understanding of the community's history and current challenges through meaningful site visits and briefings with JDC professionals and local community leaders
• Network and exchange with Indian-Jewish peers who are a part of India's JYP youth group at a camp experience
• Connect with the Bene Israel, a geographically isolated and ancient Jewish community, as well as fellow college students from many different campuses.
• Experience Shabbat…Indian style!
• Sample the local cuisine and enjoy a shopping excursion in India’s markets
Application Deadline: March 20, 2017
You can view a sample itinerary here.
Trip Dates: May 21-29, 2017
Participation Fee: $3,200 per person (Global Leadership Grants available)*
The trip cost includes:
- Round-trip airfare from NYC to Mumbai, India
- Local transportation within India
- Hotel accommodations (note: the participation fee covers accommodations in double or triple rooms)
- Briefings, tours, and leisure activities
- Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
To learn more click here for a FAQ.
Flight Details: TBA
For more information visit www.jdcentwine.org/college
About JDC in India:
India, the world’s fastest growing economy and most populous democracy, is a colorful mosaic of coexisting cultures and faiths. India’s Jews—who trace their roots as far as 2,000 years back—are among them, openly practicing in larger communities in Mumbai and Thane and much smaller ones in cities including Pune, Gujarat (Ahmedabad), Kerala (Cochin), Delhi, Kolkata and the Konkan Villages.
Because of India’s huge population and significant poverty, the country’s limited government-run social services are massively overloaded. The Jewish or Bene Israel community lack the welfare infrastructure to meet all of the needs of poor, elderly, and vulnerable Jews among them.
JDC, operational in India for over four decades, partners with various local organizations to ensure the development of critical care for Jews in need and a viable future for the community.
Learn more about JDC’s work in India here.