Inside Rwanda 2017
August 21, 2017 - August 29, 2017
Applications are now open. Click here to receive an application.
Application deadline: March 31, 2017
Travel with other young professionals from around the world to volunteer with the Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village (ASYV), the youth village that is changing Rwanda. Use your skills and teach English and art lessons, farming initiatives, sports programs, and more. Engage in a meaningful exchange with remarkable students and learn about Rwanda's history through day trips and site visits.
- Immerse in village life; spend the week getting to know the incredible students, staff and volunteers of the Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village
- Put your skills to good use; participate in and help facilitate English, art and technology classes, farming initiatives, sports programs, and more
- Learn about the history of Rwanda through visits to the Kigali Genocide Memorial Center, Nyamata Memorial site and briefings with local experts
- Go on safari! Enjoy a day trip to Akagera National Park
- Explore Kigali and surrounding villages to get an authentic feel for life in Rwanda
Click here to view the full sample itinerary.
Trip Dates: August 21-29, 2017
Participation fee: $1,800 USD, not inclusive of flights
*Do not let the price of the trip stop you from applying. JDC Entwine has subsidies available. Click here to learn more.
The trip cost includes:
- Hotel Accommodations (note: the participation fee covers accommodations in double rooms; participants may elect to stay in a single room for an additional fee)
- Local transportation within Rwanda
- Site visits, briefings, tours, etc.
- Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
Participants will be expected to submit a non-refundable deposit of $1,000 upon notification of selection.
Final payments (which may vary based on individual subsidies) will be due two months before departure.
To learn more click here for a FAQ.
Flight details: Participants will be responsible for booking their own round-trip airfare to and from Kigali. Travel logistics details will be shared upon notification of acceptance.
Inside Rwanda 2015 alumna Naomi Matlow blogged about her experience here.
Please note that participation in this experience includes a mandatory fundraising component to help ensure ASYV's future. Participants of Inside Rwanda will be required to raise a total of $6,000 to be raised within 6 months of the trip to the Village. ASYV will create a peer-to-peer fundraising website for the group to assist in this important effort. More information will be shared upon notification of acceptance.
About ASYV: ASYV began as a special project supported by JDC and is a residential community in rural Rwanda, home to youth who were orphaned during and after the genocide in 1994. The Village is designed to care for, protect and nurture it's students while developing Rwanda's future leaders. Within ASYV's supportive and structured community, the rhythm of life is being restored, with the ultimate goal of equipping young people who have lived through great trauma to become healthy, self-sufficient, and engaged in the rebuilding of their nation.